We love shepherd’s pie (or cottage pie as some people call it) in our house. It’s a hearty nutritious meal and the kids love it. Once you find something the kids love it ends up being a regular meal to get them to eat lol!
Lazy Shepherd’s Pie:
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook time:20 mins
- Total time: 25 mins
I have two ways that I make shepherd’s pie one is the oven version and the other is my ‘lazy’ version. This lazy way cuts out the whole mashing of the potatoes and putting it into the oven. It’s really quick and handy for days you don’t feel like doing too much cooking but want a hearty & nutritious meal.
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 2 adults, 2 kids and 1 baby!
- ½lb minced beef
- 1 whole peeled onion (not chopped)
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Frozen carrots
- Frozen peas
- Baby potatoes
- Fry the mince in a pot with some olive oil
- Meanwhile bring the baby potatoes to the boil and then let simmer
- Make up the beef stock and add with it the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, onion, some salt and pepper and let cook on a medium heat for 5 mins
- Now add the frozen veg, as much or as little as you like and leave to cook on a medium heat for approx 10 mins.
- The baby potatoes should be done by now so just serve and enjoy!
You can dice up the onion if you wish but we are being lazy here 🙂 I usually put some slits in the onion before throwing it in the pot.
You can also add some worcester sauce or tobasco if you want a little something extra
Out of this we are able to feed 2 adults, 2 small kids and a baby so you should be able to get 4 adults out of this. Though it can depend on who likes more potato than meat and vice versa I find lol!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Let me know if you try it. Yaz x