Since learning more about clean eating and realising how much sugar is in shop bought cereal bars I decided I’d need to try make our own at home. The kids, the eldest especially loves cereal bars so I went about finding some super easy no bake cereal bars to make.
Jill from Properfud posted a really great recipe in The Irish Parenting Bloggers group which I hesitantly tried. I wasn’t sure they would be nice but I thought they were delicious but the ultimate test was whether the eldest approved or not….she does and now it’s hard to get her to stop after one or two!
I played around with the ingredients slightly i.e added dark chocolate haha! So here is my version of said recipe which you can see here. Now. I’m now chef or brilliant cook at all so this is just what works for me 🙂
Basic recipe ingredients
1 cup of dried pitted dates
1 1/2 cups of oats
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of almond butter
- First off, if your dates feel too dry and not very sticky best to soak them in some warm water for 10-30 minutes. Then you can strain the dates and blend them in a food processor (or in a few sections in a smoothie maker like I did!)
- Add the oats
- Heat up the honey and almond butter together in the microwave or over the hob (do this slow on a low heat and stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn!)
- While that’s heating add whatever extra’s you would like for your bars into the big bowl. These could be some chopped dark chocolate, nuts, raisins, desiccated coconut anything you fancy!
- Once you have the honey and almond heated up and mixed together put it into your big bowl. If it looks very dry you can add some more heated almond butter/honey or just some warm water. But be careful! You don’t want a wet mixture just kinda sticky. I made that mistake first time and they were too soft.
- Spread and press the mixture out onto a small square pan about 8×8. Cover with cling film. Pop into the fridge to set for about an hour and you are done!
Isn’t that really easy! Takes me about 10 minutes to do now it’s so handy especially when I’m craving something sweet like that.
If you have your own variation or any similar recipes please share so I can try some more! Yaz xo